Although I definitely despise "Sin City", I've begun compiling a list of a few of my favorites to reflect on all of the bizarre, goofball (yet sometimes interesting) things that could only happen here. A walk down memory lane; a farewell ode to my birth city...
Over the next few ---(I'm not really sure how long; depends on my mood, and how long this subject actually holds my [and your] interest), I'll be bringing you my Top <insert number here- because I don't friggin know> List.
So sit back and enjoy Today's Top 4...
#1-Mr. Las Vegas", Mayor Oscar Goodman.

I tell people that the gateway to my city is a billboard that has the
picture of a beautiful woman in a state of recline wearing a pink dress, saying that she'll come to your room. I don't know what she does when she gets to the room, but the sign next to it is advertising Viagra. So maybe that says
something about Las Vegas. -- LV Mayor Oscar Goodman, CNN
Newsnight, Oct. 1, 2004
Love him or hate him, he's like no other!

Mob Attorney Extraordinaire
During his career as a defense attorney he represented defendants accused of being some of the leading organized crime figures in Las Vegas, such as Meyer Lansky and former Stardust Casino boss Frank ‘Lefty’ Rosenthal. One of his most notorious clients was reputed Chicago mobster Anthony “Tony the Ant” Spilotro, who was known to have a very short and violent temper. Spilotro was portrayed by actor Joe Pesci in the semi-factual 1995 movie Casino, in which Goodman had a cameo appearance as himself. Goodman also represented former San Diego Mayor Roger Hedgecock, who was convicted of accepting illegal campaign contributions and eventually forced to resign.
Oscar's solution for cleaning up graffiti and keeping the "Thugs" off the streets
"You know, we have a beautiful highway landscaping redevelopment in our downtown. We have desert tortoises and beautiful paintings of flora and fauna. These punks come along and deface it.
"I'm saying maybe you put them on TV and cut off a thumb," the mayor added. "That may be the right thing to do."
Goodman also suggested that whippings or canings should be brought back for children who get into trouble.
"I also believe in a little bit of corporal punishment going back to the days of yore, where examples have to be shown," Goodman said.
And just a few days ago, Good 'ol Oscar changed his tune (slightly...)
"We were not going to cut thumbs off," he said. "That was to begin discussions on the issue."
Yep, he decided he was 'over' the whole deleted digit theory. He's got a better solution; bind the thugs in medieval-style stocks and let the public paint their faces!"This would be a great deterrent," Goodman said, adding the city attorney's office was researching whether the proposal was constitutional. "I want to see if it falls under cruel or unusual punishment. If not, great. Let's put it into effect."
Although Oscar's 'gin blossom' nose is about to explode- he drinks several Bombay Sapphire martinis daily- I think he's A-OK. Vegas couldn't have found a more perfect character for the job!
#2- Elvis is Alive!
This is one of those sick little things that has attached itself to Las Vegas. I suppose the peculiar Vegas-Elvis correlation has something to do with the large amount of time "The King" spent here. It's impossible to visit without at least one sighting of a kooky Elvis impersonator. Impossible!
The Flying Elvi- Some of the strangest, wish-they-could-be-The-King, guys in town. Yes, a group of retarded looking Elvis Impersonators jumping out of planes. These were the same guys you saw in "Honeymoon in Vegas".
Yep, these dudes cruise around casinos looking for photo ops. Here's one with Jilly. The guy charged them 2 bucks for the picture- IT WAS THEIR CAMERA!!!
Some jokers even allow this wanna-be to marry them!
Then we've got this guy. His name is Pete Vallee, but he likes to be referred to as "Fat Elvis" (yeah, that would be my first pick too!?!). This dork can be seen almost daily performing at the smoke-infested rat-hole Barbary Coast Casino. For some strange reason, old ladies and drunk-off-their-ass brides to be love this lard ass.#3- Slot Machines in Grocery Stores
I never thought twice about the rows of slot and video poker machines in our grocery stores. That was, until I visited grocery stores in other states. Grocery Store slots are the lifeline of sooo many Las Vegans. No matter what time of day or night, your gonna find old ladies who smoke too damn much, casino shift workers in their black and whites, bored housewives, biker dudes, and whoever else has the fever. It's pretty comical watching these people. They are serious about their slots!#4- Weddings like no other...
So I think 'theme' weddings are just plain weird, but that's my opinion, right? People flock from all over the world to participate in these cheap, silly ceremonies. Too many themes for me to list, but here are a few that Vegas is notorious for:
- The Drive-through Window Wedding
Yep, you might be familiar with drive-up windows at fast food joint, banks, hell, even dry cleaners! But Vegas is probably the only spot your can drive through and tie the knot!- Elvis Theme
Like I mentioned above, Vegas has a bunch of Elvis Kooks running around. Yes folks, get your wed on here with none other than The King, himself (okay- not really himself; just some washed up has-been who didn't quite make it in Hollywood...)- Star Trek Vows
I've never quite understood "Trekkie's", but here's a wedding their going to love. Wow! What the fuck are people thinking???There are thousands (well, quite a few anyway) of themes to go with if you plan on getting hitched here. Pretty much, you name it- Vegas has it.
So there you have it folks, Todays Vegas Top 4.
Until next time...
Heidi






Hey, I'm a Trekkie, but I would never go that far. That's sick.